Written By: Madeleine Whitestone
We all get there when you are stressed as hell, up to your knees in school work. Now more than ever we need to relieve that ball of stress building inside with exams just around the corner. Over half of high school students in Canada suffer school related stress and even more around exams. Stress can lead to mental health problems such as depression. To prevent stress from getting to you here are the top 10 ways to help you bust your stress before exams come.
1. Drink lots of green tea Drinking green tea is a generally good habit to get into, it’s really good for your health, your skin, and to reduce overall stress. Also, it typically contains caffeine, so on those mornings where you’re not quite awake, it’s a great thing to drink on your way to school.
2. Breathe If at a certain point you are feeling insanely stressed or overwhelmed, take a big, long, deep breath! It is a quick fix for stress.
3. Yoga Yoga is a very meditative and calming activity. Tt give you a “mind out of body experience,” helping you bust your stress.
4. Get a stress ball Squeezing a stress ball really helps you release your stress and calm yourself down when you are in a stressful situation.
5. Music Numerous studies show that music can very much influence your mood. If you listen to energetic or cheery music it can help you get into a good mood helping you get rid of stress. By listening to music you are letting your mind take a break, which is what it really needs when you are stressed.
6. Laugh I know it sounds ridiculous to just stop and laugh but it really helps relieve stress. By laughing or even just smiling, you’re forcing your body to release endorphins, helping put your brain at ease.
7. Work Out Working out is a way to put your body in a good, healthy state. It’s not only good for reducing your stress levels, but it’s good for your overall health.
8. Eat well Eating well is a thing that everyone tells you to do, and you know you should, but it can be quite difficult to do so. If you really want to get rid of your stress, eating healthy (and eating enough) is a really good way to do that.
9. Take a bubble bath If you are ever feeling really down or overwhelmed, set aside some time and take a nice bubble bath to clear your head.
10. Stretch your neck/ shoulders
Rolling your neck or shoulders is such a simple thing to do but it is a great way to calm you down in the middle of a test. When you have stress tension is slowly building up in your neck and shoulders and stretching them is a great way to get rid of that tension.