By: Nyka Grewal
- 10 apples, stems removed
- 10 candy apple sticks (or popsicle sticks)
- 1 cup of water
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 tbsp of white vinegar
- 1 cup of light corn syrup
- 1/8 tsp of cinnamon or nutmeg flavouring oil (or another flavour you prefer)
- 3 drops of red food colouring (or any colour you wish)
- Candy thermometer (preferably)
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Rinse the apples and pat dry. Insert a stick into the bottom of each apple and set them aside.
- Place the water, sugar and corn syrup in a pot to boil. Let it simmer, without stirring, until the candy thermometer reads 143°C (290°F). If you do not own a candy thermometer, drop a bit of the glaze in a glass of cold water. If it hardens immediately and easily breaks in half, it’s ready. If it sinks to the bottom and is pliable, it should be cooked a bit longer.
- Remove the pot from the stove once the temperature reads 143˚C (290˚F).
- Dip the apples in the glaze, making sure to cover all of it!
- If you wish to coat your apples in nuts or other candies, fill a bowl with the ingredients, and roll the apple in it until it is covered.
- Place the apple on the cookie sheet and let the glaze harden before eating.